Glassware is probably the most sensitive and costly kitchenware. When you repeatedly wash glassware in a dishwasher, it starts to etch. Etching is the process of discoloration of glassware. The visible signs are a cloudy appearance that cannot be removed by washing with vinegar, bleach, or water.
Unlike cloudiness which happens mostly due to hard water, etching can happen with soft water too. The most probable cause of etching is using too much detergent in soft water or too little detergent in hard water. Etching also happens due to using phosphate-based detergents (these detergents are harmful to septic systems and marine life) and using too much hot water to wash glassware. One should never use water above 140 degrees Fahrenheit for washing glass items. You can also use a rinse aid to reduce etching as it helps reduce the sheeting action of water. Moreover, switching your dishwasher to a no-heat or energy-saving cycle can cut down etching. You can control all these factors but selecting the best detergent for etching is not everyone’s cup of tea.
To select the best detergent, you must get your water tested for hardness. Once you know the hardness level in the water, you can select the best dishwasher detergent according to your conditions. However, an average homeowner isn’t aware of all the technicalities involved in selecting the best dishwasher detergent to prevent etching. This is where we step it. We have researched numerous detergents, tested them, analyzed reviews, surveyed homeowners, and selected the best ones to prevent etching, regardless of the condition of your water.
Best Dishwasher Detergent to Prevent Etching
Hard water is more dangerous for your dishwasher and glassware compared to soft water. So, you need to be more vigilant in case you have hard water at home. You may need to add boosters to make the detergent work in some situations. For homes with soft water, reducing the quantity of detergent in your dishwasher is recommended to avoid suds and floods.
1. Cascade Platinum Dishwasher Pods, ActionPacs Dishwasher Detergent, Lemon Platinum Plus, 70 Count
- Cascade cleaning power allows you to skip pre-washing dishes, saving up to 15 gallons of water with each load
- ActionPacs are formulated with the grease-fighting power of Dawn dish soap. Formulated with POWER BOOSTER.
- Cascade Platinum PLUS+ ActionPacs dishwashing detergent dissolve, lift, and rinse away food.
Every homeowner with a dishwasher probably knows about Cascade detergents. Cascade Platinum Plus dishwasher is rated as a top detergent in every category. Either you want to wash glassware, stainless steel items, plastic or metallic dishes, Cascade Platinum will do wonders for you.
There are a lot of reviews that mention that their glass items stay clear from all marks with Cascade Platinum. The best thing about these reviews is that all of them are from long-term customers. People give up the search for the best detergent after using Cascade Platinum.
You don’t need to worry about water chemistry. If you have hard water, use one pod without boosters. For soft water, just use half pod. Many customers with soft water mention that a half pod is enough for a full load of dishes. The dishes come out neat and spotless.
The detergent comes in a plastic bucket, and the pods are individually packed. So, it cuts some marks here but not enough to take you away from the detergent.
People express their satisfaction over price and the value of money detergent offers. All the details and positive reviews make this detergent a must-have.
2. Amazon Brand – Solimo Dishwasher Detergent Pacs, Fresh Scent, 85 Count
- Removes stuck-on food
- Fresh scent
- Includes 85 dishwasher detergent pacs
Solimo is a phosphate-free all-natural detergent with impressive reviews from buyers. For the majority of the users, the detergent performs exactly like Cascade but at a much lower price. Solimo’s one tablet is sold at half the price of Cascade Platinum plus. However, there are a few complaints about its inability to clean glasses. People had to clean their glasses with vinegar to remove the cloudiness.
There are no smell-related complaints, and people like the detergent’s natural formula.
It is packed in plastic, so it ruins the whole eco-friendly idea.
People with hard water at their homes have had no problem with the detergent. It dissolves nicely in hard water and leaves no marks on the dishwasher or your dishes. Soft water users are also satisfied with the performance.
Overall, the detergent is excellent. You can try it without any worries.
3. Finish – Quantum – 82ct – Dishwasher Detergent – Powerball – Ultimate Clean & Shine – Dishwashing Tablets – Dish Tabs
- Finish Quantum Scrubs, Degreases, and Shines. Because There’s Clean. Then There’s so Clean It Shines
- 3 Separate Fast Dissolving Chambers, Delivering 3 Different Power Actions
- Powder: Scrubbing Power to Break Down and Remove Toughest Stuck on Food in One Wash. No need to pre-rinse or soak. Cuts through grease, breaks down...
No one can skip Finish when it comes to the best detergents. Finish’s Powerball tablets are one of a kind. The 3 chambers in the tablets can scrub (powder), cut grease (gel), and make your dishes shine (liquid).
Just like Cascade, reviews for the detergent speak volumes about it. People who washed glasses with this detergent have interesting remarks about it. They term it as marvelous, phenomenal, sparkling neat dishes, go-to detergent, and highly recommended.
If you have hard water or you are using well water, you need this detergent. It will amaze you with its ability to clean not only your dishes but also extend the life of your dishwashers. Soft water users can use the detergent too but must use a half tablet.
Some people complain about smelly dishes. However, they also mention that smells evaporate after a couple of hours. The packaging is not eco-friendly, but the formula is natural.
The price of the detergent is reasonable. In fact, it is worth every penny. No detergent offers such features at this price.
4. Lemi Shine Dish Detergent Booster, Multi-Use Citric Acid Cleaner (24 oz Container, 2 Pack Bundle)
- POWERFUL CITRIC ACID FOR THAT EXTRA BOOST: This is a 2-pack of our 24 oz Booster Additive to be used in conjunction with dishwasher detergent to...
- GUARANTEED TO CLEAN EVEN IN HARD WATER: Our dishwashing booster contains natural ingredients, powerful citric acid that remove stains, hard water...
- PH BALANCE OPTIMIZATION: Use Dish Detergent Booster for optimizing your dishwasher's cleaning ability by balancing the PH caused by hard water.
Please note that this is not a detergent. It is a hard water booster, recommended to be used for only hard water. However, some users have also used it with soft water to deal with extremely soiled dishes and remove tough residues.
Lemi Shine is a Climate Pledge Friendly brand and has been vetted by Amazon for environmental safety. There is not a single review that mentions that this booster doesn’t work in hard water. It is an ideal product to avoid etching in glassware. Moreover, you can also use it while washing other dishes.
The booster is so effective that even people from Florida, Indiana, Wisconsin, Utah, New Mexico, and Arizona with very hard water are praising it. If you want to use the booster with soft water, use ¼ of the recommended amount.
The booster imparts a mild lemon smell on your dishes that vanishes after a couple of hours.
The booster is reasonably priced compared to other boosters in the market. Moreover, it offers the best value for money. Users rate the booster above Finish hard water booster (reviewed below) because it is compatible with a wide variety of detergents and dishwashers.
5. Finish Hard Water Booster Powder, Lemon Sparkle, 14 Ounce
Finish detergents are very popular in North America. Many people use them to deal with hard water problems, and a lot of them aid Finish detergents with Finish boosters. While Lemi Shine boosters work with almost every detergent, finish boosters are mostly compatible with Finish detergents.
If you use Finish detergent and cannot get desired results with it, then consider adding a booster with it. It will take care of spots, residue, and hard water films, extending the life of your glassware. For many people, it is the ultimate solution for cloudy glasses and preventing etching marks. The detergent is not recommended to be used with soft water.
Most of the reviews mention that the booster doesn’t leave any smell or taste on your dishes. You can use it without any worries. Packaging is a concern for eco-friendly people.
The detergent is costly than Lemi Shine and will increase your dishwashing expense. However, it is worth it. To get something extra, you need to spend more.
6. Seventh Generation Fragrance Free Dishwasher Detergent Pack, 45 Count, 2 Pack
- Enzyme rich formula cuts through tough grease and food residue to leave dishes sparkling clean
- Free of fragrances, dyes, phosphates, and chlorine bleach
- Convenient single dose dishwasher pods, just toss right into the dishwasher
Seventh Generation is one of the most eco-friendly and natural detergents currently available in the market. The only drawback with this dishwasher is the plastic packing.
Some reviews mention that the detergent leaves a white film on the glasses in hard water. However, soft water users have no issue with the detergent. They add a half tablet, and the detergent gives the best results. For hard water users, it is recommended to use a booster with the detergent.
There is not a single complaint about the smell. The detergent’s all-natural formula ensures that your dishes never smell and your dishwasher stays as fresh as new.
The price of the detergent is also reasonable and in line with other detergents. You can buy this detergent if you have soft water and need a 100% bio-based detergent.
7. Ecover Automatic Dishwashing Tablets Zero, 25 Count, 17.6 Ounce
We cannot ignore Ecover when we talk about fragrance-free detergents. The detergent has mixed reviews for dealing with a white film on glasses. Some people rate it above Cascade and Finish. Others mention that it ruined their dishes. At times, people don’t know the level of hardness in water and start using the wrong detergents. Ecover is recommended for soft water and slightly hard water. People with moderate to very hard water will have to use boosters with the detergent.
It is rated as the best natural formula by many reviewers and has no smell problems. The tablets are individually wrapped in plastic, and the packaging is recyclable cardboard. The fragrance-free variant of the detergent is costly. It will increase your dishwashing expense by $10-15.
8. Finish – Quantum – 68ct – Dishwasher Detergent – Powerball – Ultimate Clean & Shine – Dishwashing Tablets – Dish Tabs
- New Finish Quantum scrubs, degreases, and shines. Because there’s clean. Then there’s so clean it shines
- 3 separate fast dissolving chambers, delivering 3 different power actions
- Powder: scrubbing power to break down & remove toughest stuck on food in one wash
Finish Quantum ultimate clean and shine is a very powerful detergent. It is best for large families and people who have extremely soiled dishes. The ultimate clean and shine formula is better than Finish Superior clean. It is also costly than the superior clean and shine variant.
You can use the detergent for glassware without any issues. It will clear old stains and reduce etching, increasing the life of your glassware. Moreover, the detergent is perfect for hard water and soft water alike. You don’t need any boosters or aids to make it work. Please remember to use a half tablet with soft water.
A few reviews mention smell problems. Finish detergents smell bad for some people. It is the biggest drawback of using Finish.
Reviewers find the detergent to be moderately priced. It offers excellent value for your money.
9. Cascade Platinum ActionPacs Dishwasher Detergent with Dawn, Fresh Scent – 92 Count
Cascade Platinum is a lighter version of Cascade Platinum Plus. It is best for homes with soft water and people who don’t have extremely messy dishes. Buyers love this detergent because of its flawless cleaning capabilities and affordability.
The detergent is great for washing glassware in soft water. You don’t need to use less detergent as it is light and made specifically for homes with soft water. If you have hard water and still want to use it, you’ll have to rely on boosters.
There are no smell issues with Cascade Platinum. People like its bio-based formula but most of the reviewers don’t like the packing.
The detergent is fairly priced. Reviewers mention that the detergent is not a rip-off.
10. Dropps Dishwasher Detergent Pods: Lemon | 120 Count
- POWERFUL & EFFECTIVE: Powers away 24-hour baked on food and tough stains. Glasses so sparkly and dishes so clean you can eat off them. Literally.
- NO PRE WASH NEEDED: Skip the pre-wash and save water on every load. Deep cleans to keep your family healthy and safe. Leaves no residue or fragrance...
- MANUFACTURED IN THE USA: Thoughtfully formulated with powerful, sustainable, plant-based ingredients. Never tested on animals. Free from synthetic...
If you are looking for a 100% eco-friendly detergent with moderate cleaning capabilities, Dropps is a nice option. Many users making their homes chemical-free and eco-friendly are using Dropps for their dishwashers.
The detergent is not very popular with buyers because of its moderate cleaning capability. If you have extremely dirty dishes, it may not work for you. Moreover, it is recommended to be used with soft water.
Many reviewers mention the detergent’s ability to deliver spotless glasses in hot water. A user mentions that her husband drinks milk in crystal glass with lunch and dinner; she never had any issues with Dropps.
There are no complaints about smell. The tablets are wrapped in a water-dissolvable bag, and the pods come in a recyclable box.
The price is slightly higher than most leading brands, but it is worth it, provided that you have soft water at your home and the detergent works for you.
11. Lemi Shine Natural Dishwasher Pods
- SPARKLINGLY CLEAN FINISH: Lemi Shine Natural Dishwasher Detergent Pods are Dual Chamber, Powder and Gel Combo, so you can finally skip the pre-wash...
- NO MESS, NO POWDERS: Our dishwashing detergent pods clean and remove grease, stains, and stuck on food from dishware, without leaving a soapy residue.
- ECO-FRIENDLY AND GREEN CLEANING: Powered by natural citric acid, making our dishwashing pods a safer and more eco-friendly choice for cleaning your...
This is an ideal detergent for people with soft water, who have dirty dishes and want their glassware to be in mind. People admire the all-natural dishwasher detergent because of its effortless cleaning power.
Though it is recommended for soft water, people with hard water are also using it. The detergent has no complaints, and it delivers squeaky clean dishes.
Many people have said goodbye to horrible smells after they started using this detergent. Its smell is pleasant.
The formula is eco-friendly, but the packaging is not. Many people wish that the packaging was made eco-friendly. It is the only flaw in this detergent.
The price may appear a bit high at first, but once the detergent settles down with your dishwasher, you are going to love it.
12. Puracy Platinum Dishwasher Detergent Pods, 50 Count
- Designed to work better when you skip the pre-rinse ] Wash your dishes effortlessly with Puracy Free & Clear biodegradable dishwasher tabs. With...
- Developed by biochemists, tested by households nationwide ] These third-generation dishwasher tablets are tried, tested & trusted. These dish washer...
- Perfect for All Dishwasher Safe Items ] Made from plant and mineral-derived ingredients, Puracy dishwashing pods are a grease-cutting, spot-free,...
Puracy is known for its eco-friendly formula. It is best for homes with soft water. You can also use the detergent with hard water, but you will need boosters with it.
Most of the reviewers like how the detergent cleans glassware. A homeowner mentions that her husband drinks a lot of smoothies and vitamin shakes. They have soft water in their homes. The detergent leaves behind no residue and no spots or films on the glasses. Puracy performs better than Lemi Shine and Seventh Generation for her. The detergent is best for wine glasses too.
Since it is a natural detergent, there is a rare chance that it will leave a smell on your dishes.
13. Better Life Natural Dishwasher Gel Detergent, 30 Fl Oz, Pack of 2
- Plant-Based Cleaning Ingredients: Formulated with powerful natural cleaning agents like soap bark, corn, and coconut.
- Powerful Clean, Naturally: Our dishwasher gel combines plant-based power and peace of mind, leaving your dishes sparkling clean and smelling fresh,...
- Shake and Squirt: Into your automatic dishwasher’s detergent cup. Perfect for dishes, glasses, utensils, pots, and pans splattered with anything...
Some people prefer gel-based detergents over powder and pods. Better life is an excellent detergent with bio-based ingredients and maximum conveniences. Please note that the detergent is ultra-concentrated, so you may need to reduce the quantity in soft water.
It is 50% successful in washing your glassware and removing spots from it. It works fine in soft water but creates a mess with hard water. We don’t recommend using this detergent if you have very hard water at your home. People with water wells have also expressed their reservations about the detergent.
There are no smell-related issues. A couple of users mentioned that it never worked for them but never smelled. People like the detergent because you don’t have to deal with individually wrapped tablets or scoop the powder in the dishwasher, provided that it works for them.
14. Grab Green Natural Automatic Dishwashing Detergent Powder, Fragrance Free, Organic Enzyme-Powdered, 80 Loads
- Contains: 1- 3.17 Pound (80 Loads) Bag of Grab Green Natural Fragrance Free Automatic Dishwashing Detergent Powder. Our velcro closure bags are...
- Naturally Effective: Specifically formulated to cut through grease and stuck on food without harsh chemicals, noxious fumes or caustic chemicals,...
- Fragrance Free: Our powerful dishwasher detergent, easily measured with the included scoop, is hypoallergenic, free and clear of all scents and dyes,...
The penultimate detergent on our list is Grab Green. As the name implies, it is a plant-based detergent and performs nicely in hard water and soft water.
People like that the manufacturer is transparent in providing the information and openly states that the detergent is 94% natural. It is phosphate-free, thus making it suitable to prevent etching.
The detergent has mixed reviews for cleaning your glassware. The success rate is 50%. For some people, it may work in hard water, and for some, it fails to perform in even soft water.
The best thing about the detergent is its eco-friendly formula. It is great for baby bottles too.
The detergent is reasonably priced compared to other detergents with natural ingredients. Its price is the best selling point.
15.Biokleen Free & Clear Dishwashing Detergent- 64 Loads
- Our Free & Clear Automatic Powder is fragrance free and, like all Biokleen products, is clear of dyes and brighteners
- Plant-based surfactants gets off tough baked-on-food and grease, while natural oxygen bleach helps remove stains
- Dishes come out spotless and free of chemical taste and residue
The last detergent is Biokleen. Biokleen is best for people who are making their homes chemical-free. However, not many people are satisfied with the detergent’s performance. It gets mixed reviews from buyers.
People mention that detergent is not recommended for hard water. It will leave stains and films on your dishes.
Its performance with soft water is satisfactory. The majority of the positive reviews mention impressive cleaning abilities in soft water.
The best thing about the detergent is the bio-based formula. People like that the detergent doesn’t leave any smells or taste on your dishes. You can even wash baby bottles with it if you have soft water at your home.
The price for one ounce is very reasonable. The positive reviews term it as worth every penny.
What is the best dishwasher detergent to prevent etching?
Cascade Platinum, Finish, Seventh Generation are the best detergents to prevent etching on glassware.
Can vinegar remove etching marks?
No. Vinegar cannot remove etching marks. Etching can only be prevented; it has no cure.
What is the recommended temperature to prevent etching?
The water temperature must be below 140°F or 60°C to prevent etching.
Does a rinsing agent help prevent etching?
Yes. It reduces the sheeting action of water and prevents etching
Do hard water boosters prevent etching?
Yes. Hard water boosters are known for preventing etching and removing hard water stains from your dishes and dishwasher in homes with extremely hard water.
Can I use the same detergent for hard water and soft water?
Yes. One detergent can be used for hard water and soft water. You must use half of the recommended amount if you have soft water at your home.
theappliancenerd.com is supported by its audience. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.