What does error code E22 mean on the Bosch dishwasher?
Error code E22 appears on the Bosch dishwasher due to a blocked filter. There could be various reasons for filter blockage. This blockage causes improper water draining. The basic reason behind the clogging of filter is calcium buildup. Besides this, blocked drain hose, circulation pump, and non-return valve also cause drain filter blockage.
Error E22 indicates that water is still present in the dishwasher’s basin even after the dishwashing cycle is completed. You can easily fix this error by yourself without professional help.
Bosch dishwasher error code E22 fixing guide
Error E22 on the Bosch dishwasher appears due to a dirty or blocked filter and malfunctioning of the drain pump. The possible reasons and their solution for error code E22 are given here.
Cause 1: Clogged drain filter
The drain filter is located inside the bottom of the Bosch dishwasher on the right side. The drain filter consists of two main parts. One is its mesh that lays on the bottom of the dishwasher. The second part is the filter piece attached to the filter’s mesh. This part also leads the filter under the mesh screen to the bottom of the basin.
If you are not cleaning your dishwasher properly, food particles and dirt will build upon the filter. This buildup leads to the clogging of the filter at the end. And clogged filter triggers error code E22. This clogging hinders the water circulation inside the dishwasher. So, heavily soiled and greased plates will not clean up without enough water. Thus, your dishwashing process fails ultimately.
You can fix the drain filter clogging by cleaning it. Follow the given process to clear the drain filter from debris.
- Turn off the water and power supply to the dishwasher.
- Access the drain filter and remove it by twisting the filter’s top.
- You can also use a screwdriver to release the filter top.
- After removing the mesh screen and filter, if you find solid, large bits of debris, then remove them with your hands.
- Rinse the filter with water to clean it. Use a toothbrush or a soft scrub brush for thorough cleaning.
- Inspect the basin to check for any bits and food pieces accumulated there. Then remove them with a scrub brush and rinse with water if you find any.
- Place the filter back to its previous position by twisting the top lock.
- Plugin the dishwasher and restore the water supply to run the cleaning cycle.
If error code E22 still appears, then move towards the next step.
Cause 2: Calcium buildup in the filter
Calcium buildup is one of the main reasons for filter blockage. In some areas where municipal water has high mineral ratios, the building-up of calcium on dishwasher filters is quite common. Besides dishwashers, you can also see calcium buildup on coffee makers and washing machines.
This buildup is also called “calcium and mineral buildup” or “limescale.” In Bosch dishwashers, mineral buildup causes drainage problems. These problems ultimately trigger error code E22 on your dishwasher’s display. This particular reason behind this calcium deposition depends on the area where you live and your water condition.
If you face a calcium buildup problem in your dishwasher’s filter, you should clean or decalcify your filter. The first thing you have to do is remove the filter as mentioned above. Then inspect the filter to check calcium buildup. If it isn’t too severe, you can clean it quite easily.
- Take a scrubbing brush or toothbrush to remove the calcium deposition on the filter.
- After scrubbing thoroughly, rinse the filter with water.
- Put the filter back in its place and run the water cycle.
If your filter has severe calcium deposition, you have to decalcify it. For this purpose, you will need a “descaler.” You can find it in a hardware store or a local supermarket.
- Run the dishwasher with the highest temperature and with the longest cycle.
- Do not put dishes and detergents inside the dishwasher as we only have to heat the dishwasher.
- Approximately after 30 minutes, you have to add a box of descaler to the bottom of the dishwasher.
- Resume the wash cycle. After its completion, run an additional cycle to clean the dishwasher thoroughly.
- If you live in an area with a high mineral deposition ratio in municipal water, you should repeat this process quite often throughout the year.
Run the dishwasher to check error code E22 disappeared or not. If it is still blinking on display, move to the next solution.
Cause 3: Blocked drain hose and non-return valve
Water moves to the drain hose and your house’s drain, after passing from the dishwasher’s filter. A non-return valve is also present along the way. This valve aims to restrict the flow of dirty water from the drain to its previous position.
Due to debris accumulation, the drain hose and non-return valve face blockage over time. As a result, wastewater flows back from the drain to where it came from. Error E22 will appear as a result of this malfunctioning in the dishwasher.
To clear the drain hose and non-return valve, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Cut off the water and power supply from the dishwasher.
- The drain hose and non-return valve are present behind the dishwasher. So, turn back the dishwasher and get access to the drain hose and non-return valve.
- Remove them both with a piece of towel. If water splashes down the floor, clean it with a towel.
- Take a clean cloth and a scrub brush to clear the drain hose and non-return valve. Remove debris and other depositions.
- Put the non-return valve and drain hose back in their places and run the dishwasher to check the error code.
If E22 persists, check the last possible cause of its appearance and fix it.
Cause 4: Partially clogged circulation pump
The circulation pump in the dishwasher is to drive water to the spray arms. Spray arms then sprinkle water inside the dishwasher to perform cleaning. The circulation pump must supply sufficient water for better cleaning. Clogging in the circulation pump will lead to the error code E22.
Partial clogging in the circulation pump reduces its ability to water drainage. Thus, error code E22 will pop up on your Bosch dishwasher’s screen.
To remove this clogging, first, you need to reach the circulation pump. You can access the exact location of the circulation pump by reading the manual of your dishwasher. Follow the given steps to clear the circulation pump from debris.
- Turn off the dishwasher and also turn off the water tap.
- Remove the bottom and toe panel and reach for the circulation pump.
- You have to remove the circulation pump’s cover after reaching it.
- After accessing the circulation pump area, start clearing it from clogs, dirt, and debris.
- Wear gloves before removing clogs as a safety from any sharp objects present inside the circulation pump area.
- You can use a clean cloth or a brush, if needed, for thorough cleaning of the targeted area.
- After removing the clog, reassemble the dishwasher and plug it again into the power.
This is the last possible cause of error E22 appearance. If you fail to remove the error code with the abovementioned processes, call for professional help.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the link between calcium buildup and error code E22?
If your water supply to the dishwasher has high mineral deposition, then calcium will build up on the dishwasher’s filter over time. This buildup will clog the filter that triggers the error code E22 to appear on display. After removing the calcium buildup, the error code E22 will disappear from your dishwasher.
2. How can you remove error code E22 from your Bosch dishwasher?
Error code E22 indicates the blocked filter and drain pump mainly. You can remove this error by following ways.
- Clear or unclog the drain filter
- Removing calcium buildup from the filter
- Unclogging the drain hose and non-return valve
- Clear and unclog circulation pump
3. How to reset the Bosch dishwasher after error codes?
Error codes appear on Bosch dishwashers due to their self-diagnostic features. You can clear them after resetting the dishwasher. Press and hold the start button for three seconds. The dishwasher will reboot this way. You can also manually reset your dishwasher by unplugging it from the power source. Then wait for at least 10 seconds and plug-in it again.