Ice Maker is a convenient feature to make ice in your LG refrigerator. However, it can show various problems that you can sort out with a simple reset. However, not everyone is aware of resetting the ice maker on your LG refrigerator.
Most users confuse resetting the ice maker with resetting the refrigerator. However, this is not the case; resetting an ice maker is entirely different from resetting a refrigerator. In this article, we will discuss how you can reset the LG refrigerator ice maker.
The basic reason for resetting the LG refrigerator’s ice maker is improper ice making. We will also discuss why you need to reset the machine and is resetting the best solution to troubleshoot the ice maker?
You will find answers to all these questions in this article.
How do I Reset my LG Refrigerator Ice Maker?
Before you reset the ice maker on an LG refrigerator, make sure it is turned on. You can do this by checking the power switch on the ice maker. The location of the ice maker switch varies from one model to another. If the ice maker was off, turn it on and wait for 18-30 hours for the first batch of ice to be produced.
If the switch was turned on and your ice maker is not making ice, turn off the icemaker switch, wait for 10 minutes, and turn it on again. Let it run for at least 30 hours to see if it is making ice or not.
If the ice maker is still not making ice, the next option is to check the ice maker using test mode.
Using the Test Mode
- Before you do this, remove the ice bin on your machine and keep a shallow tray under the ice maker to catch any water that may spill from the ice maker.
- Press and hold the test button for 3 seconds to force the ice-making process to reset.
- The test mode will force the ice maker to go through the three ice-making stages step by step. It will test water supply, ice making, and harvest.
- Once the test mode is complete, remove the tray underneath and install the ice bin. Make sure that you place the ice bin correctly and according to the guides; otherwise, the ice maker sensors may consider the tray is full, and it will not make ice.
- If the ice maker is still not producing ice, get in touch with customer service.
Some of the Common Reasons why LG Ice Maker is not making Ice
Sometimes the ice maker is working fine, but some other reasons may contribute towards the ice maker not making ice. Hence, we recommend that you check these features so you can fix this problem without getting external help.
New Installation: A newly installed or relocated refrigerator will need at least 24 hours to make ice. Let the machine run for at least a day before expecting it to make ice.
Temperature Setting: Sometimes, the temperature is not set optimally for ice production, and you end up thinking that the ice plus mode is not working all right. The minimum temperature for ice making is -4F (-20C). If the temperature is higher, the ice-making rate will be slow. Moreover, you must keep the temperature as per FDA’s recommendation.
Water Supply Problems: Ensure that the water line is connected and not pinched, kinked, or clogged. Sometimes the unit is pulled out for cleaning and then pulled back after cleaning, resulting in kinks in the water pipe.
You can check the waterline by dispensing a glass from the water dispenser. Moreover, the test button on your machine’s ice maker will reveal if it is getting water alright.
Ice Clumps Formation: Sometimes, ice clump formation on the auger inside the ice maker can stop the ice maker from dispensing ice cubes. The main purpose of the auger in the ice maker is to supply light heat to melt ice cubes so they can come out.
If the ice maker is not used regularly, ice can form over the auger, compromising its functionality. The best way to deal with this problem is to remove the ice layer on the auger, and you can do this by defrosting the ice maker.
Malfunctioning Ice Maker Fan: Another common reason behind ice maker not making ice is a malfunctioning ice maker fan. The fan’s main purpose is to blow cold air towards the ice maker to make quick ice. The ice-making process can slow down if the fan is blocked due to dust particles or has grown old or weak motor.
Some Tips while Resetting the Ice Maker
- Don’t forget to place a towel or water tray underneath the ice maker to catch any spills.
- Make sure you check the machine’s functionality before resetting the unit.
- Make sure that the fan and motor are running properly. These things indicate either a part replacement or a warrant a technical inspection.
- Check the water supply line before resting the ice maker.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I clean the ice maker on the LG refrigerator?
Cleaning the ice maker of your LG refrigerator is an easy task, provided you know how to do it. Follow the steps below to clean your machine in the best possible way.
- Start by unhooking the machine’s switch from the socket. This is the basic safety precaution that must be taken whenever you clean any electric machine or part of it.
- Start by removing all the removable parts from the ice maker. It is recommended to wash them with hands as some parts may not withstand the water pressure in the dishwasher.
- If the dishwasher parts are too dirty or yellow, soak them in water and add a couple of spoons of baking soda. This makes it easier to remove the stubborn stains from the components.
- Make sure you remove all the ice from the ice maker. Submerge the pieces in warm water but don’t use any harsh tools to remove the ice from any part of the ice maker. You don’t want to scratch the ice maker parts.
- For cleaning the inside of the machine, use a cloth soaked in warm soapy water. If any stain doesn’t come off, you can baking soda, vinegar, or lemon juice for this purpose.
- Clean the parts with a soft toothbrush for a thorough clean.
- Check the water filter in the ice maker; if the replacement is due, do the needful now.
- Once all the parts are cleaned, reinstall the parts, test the ice maker, and waste some water to make any leftover soap, baking soda, or vinegar. Flushing some water is also great for removing any smells or bad taste if you have installed a new filter in your device.
Where is the reset button on the LG ice maker?
The reset button on the ice maker is located on the underside for most ice makers. The reset/test button location may change from one model to another. If the ice maker doesn’t undergo a self-testing cycle, you will need to remove the bin.
What is the average time for an LG refrigerator ice maker to start making ice?
LG refrigerator takes around 24-30 hours to produce the first batch of ice after a recent installation, ice maker cleaning, and filter replacement. Before planning a cleanup for your ice maker, please keep your ice needs in mind.
Why is my ice maker not dumping ice?
The ice maker may not dump ice if something is wrong with its auger. The auger in the ice maker heats the ice, so the ice cubes melt a little and fall when needed.
LG refrigerators run smoothly for 8-10 years; however, they can show some errors from time to time. Most of the errors can be fixed by homeowners at home if they know how to deal with them. We have discussed the easiest way to reset the ice maker on the LG refrigerator.