Whirlpool is a common household name across the world. It has been in business for more than 100 years. One of the most frequently bought Whirlpool appliances is a French door refrigerator. Its French door refrigerators are rated as one of the best in the industry.
Whirlpool French door refrigerators come with water filters to provide clean and pure drinking water. To ensure that the filter operates optimally, the filter needs to be cleaned once every six months. The replacement time may vary depending on the water quality and usage, but a refrigerator water filter usually lasts for 500 gallons of water.
Whirlpool refrigerators have 4 types of filters installed in them. These filters are labeled as 1, 2, 3, and 4. This marking system makes it easy for the users to identify the filter and frees the homeowners from the tension of remembering complex serial numbers. However, you can also find a compatible filter with your machine on Whirlpool’s website.
How to Change Water Filter in Whirlpool French-Door Refrigerator?
This article will explain how you can replace all 4 types of filters on your Whirlpool water filter. Please note that this is a generic guide and is not meant to replace your machine’s user guide/manual.
You can also run a diagnostic mode on Whirlpool dishwasher to check what’s wrong with your dishwasher.
How to Replace Refrigerator Water Filter 1?
Follow the steps below to replace water filter 1 on your Whirlpool Refrigerator.
- Begin by locating the water filter cover in the upper right-hand corner inside your refrigerator or the base grille.
- Open the filter door by lifting it up.
- Pull out the filter and discard it. This filter doesn’t need twisting to remove it.
- Unpack your new filter and remove the protective cover from the O-rings. Ensure that the O-rings are still in place after you remove the cover.
- Insert the new filter in the slot. If you insert the filter in the slot on the upper-right corner inside your refrigerator, the arrow must point up. The arrow will point towards the left for installation in the base grille. The guide sticker on the compartment door will help you align the filter.
- Close the filter door close so that it snaps into place.
- Run 3-4 gallons of water from the filter to remove impurities or air build-up. This will also flush the new filter.
How to Replace Refrigerator Water Filter 2?
You may find a filter with the number “2” on your refrigerator. Go through the steps below to locate and replace the filter.
- Locate the water filter on your refrigerator. It may be on the upper right-hand corner or lower left-hand corner in a few models.
- Pull open the filter door.
- Hold the filter cap and move it counterclockwise. Pull out the filter, keeping it horizontal. Discard the old filter.
- Unpack your new filter and remove the protective cap from the O-rings. Make sure the O-rings are intact after the cover has been removed.
- Insert the new filter in the slot, ensuring that the arrow points upwards.
- Move the filter clockwise until it locks in its place.
- Close the filter door so that it snaps into place.
- Run 2-3 gallons of water to remove any air or impurities in the filter. You can use this water for plants.
How to Replace Refrigerator Water Filter 3?
Your French-door refrigerator may have a filter with the number “3” written over it. The following steps will guide you on how to replace the type 3 filter on a Whirlpool refrigerator.
- Begin by locating the filter cover on your machine. It is usually located on the left side of the refrigerator’s base grille.
- Push the eject button to release the filter and slide it out. Discard the old filter.
- Remove the protective covering on the filter and ensure that O-rings are intact after removing the covering.
- Place the filter cap on the new cartridge so that the ridges align and turn the cap clockwise to lock into its place.
- Make sure the arrow on the filter is pointing to the left when you insert the new filter.
- Push the filter inside the slot until the eject button pops out and the filter snaps into its place.
- Run 3-4 gallons of water through the recently installed filter to remove any impurities or air from the filter.
How to Replace Refrigerator Water Filter 4?
Follow the steps below to replace the type “4” filter on your Whirlpool French door refrigerator.
- A type “4” filter is usually located in the upper right-hand corner of your refrigerator interior.
- Open the filter cover by pushing the small lever on the filter.
- Turn the filter counterclockwise to remove the filter and discard the old filter.
- Remove the protective covering on the filter and make sure that the O-rings are intact after removing the covering.
- Line the new filter with the grooves, push in and move it to the right.
- Don’t over-tighten the filter. Push the filter cap in its place.
- Run 3-4 gallons of water from the recently installed filter to remove impurities and air from the filter.
It is very important to replace the refrigerator water filter timely. Filters are responsible for removing contaminants from the water like asbestos, cysts, mercury, ammonia, bad taste and smell, and many more contaminants. Most refrigerator water filters have a life of 5-6 months or 500-600 gallons. The life of a filter depends on water quality and consumption.