Whirlpool is one of the oldest and most trusted brands for household appliances worldwide. A refrigerator is one of its best offerings. Whirlpool makes refrigerators to cater to the need of different sectors of the population.
Its most popular refrigerator models include French door refrigerators, side by side refrigerators, top and bottom-freezer refrigerators, counter depth and under counter depth refrigerators, standalone ice makers, freezers, and beverage & wine coolers.
Some of the Whirlpool refrigerators come with an ice maker. An ice maker is an interesting addition to refrigerators. It is a simple device and works like the ice cube trays in your freezer. You add water to the mold, let it freeze, and then extract the ice.
Ice maker takes the water from the inlet, freezes it, and then supplies ice cubes. An ice maker makes the process entirely automated and provides users with the convenience of supplying ice cubes on demand. It rids the users from the hassle of filling ice cube molds, placing them in the freezer, and then extracting ice cubes when required.
Ice makers on Whirlpool refrigerators can go bad over time. Like other machines, they may need a part replacement or a full replacement. If you happen to own a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator and are looking to replace an ice maker in it, then you are at the right place.
This article will discuss how you can replace an ice maker in a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator. The process is fairly simple and easy to complete, provided you know how to do it and have the right set of tools.
Let’s find out how to do it!
How to Replace Ice Maker in Whirlpool Side by Side Refrigerator?
- Nut driver ¼-inch
- Work gloves
- Replacement Ice Maker
Step 1: Prepare your Refrigerator
This step involves three sub-steps.
- Begin by turning off the water line to your refrigerator. Close the refrigerator inlet valve before starting the procedure so you don’t have to deal with a water mess in your fridge and kitchen floor. It is handy to keep a small towel with you while working on your refrigerator so that any spills or water drops can be timely wiped off.
- Switch off the ice maker. The Ice maker switch is usually located on the opposite side of the ice maker.
- Last and most important, turn off your refrigerator before you start making any repairs. The easiest way to do this is to remove the plug. If the plug is hidden behind the refrigerator and you can’t access it easily, turn off the breaker from the electric control panel. You’ll need to arrange for an emergency light if you turn off the kitchen breaker.
Step 2: Empty the Freezer
It is best to repair on a day when your freezer is almost empty. If not, then you can temporarily store the stuff in another freezer. If you have only one freezer, place the frozen items on the kitchen counter and stack them closely. Ensure you keep them away from sunlight or any other heat source such as a running stove or oven.
Step 3: Make some Space in the Freezer
Pull out the ice bin and keep it aside. Be mindful that it may be heavy if it has water or ice. Remove the nearby shelves to make some space in the freezer.
Step 4: Remove the Ice Maker Bracket
Now you need to remove the ice door to access the ice maker. It is attached with a couple of hinge pins that can be removed by prying with your hands or flat head screwdriver. Please be gentle with these things. We don’t want you to end up ordering replacement parts for your machine by working in haste.
Step 5: Remove the Screws
The ice maker in your Whirlpool side by side refrigerator is attached with ¼ inch hex screws that you need to remove. Locate the screws and remove all of them. Make sure you keep the screws safe with you. You’ll also need to remove the cover for the harness at the rear. This is the place where the screws are attached to the ice maker. A locking tab on each side of the two tracks holds the ice maker in place. You will need a flat head screwdriver to press those tabs and slide the ice maker forward.
Step 6: Unplug the Wires
The ice maker is attached to the refrigerator’s wiring system with a wire harness. You need to remove the wire harness to take out the ice maker. There will be a tab on the side of the harness. Push it in, and the harness will come out. Be careful while doing it becuase the harness tends to get stuck at times. Try spraying a little WD-40 on it if it isn’t coming off.
Step 7: Remove the Base Assembly from the Ice Maker
Once you have unplugged the ice maker successfully, take it to a suitable work surface. Your kitchen counter is a great idea. Removing the base assembly is required to install the new ice maker as Whirlpool’s replacement ice maker doesn’t come with a base assembly. Turn the ice maker upside down.
You will notice 3 hex screws holding the base assembly. Unscrew them. Make sure you keep the screws safe with you as you will need them for the new ice maker.
The base also holds the wire assembly harness. You need to remove that too. Push the button on the side of the harness and push it down. Now you can discard the old icemaker. Don’t worry about the wire harness, a new ice maker comes with one attached to it.
Step 8: Transfer the old casing to the new Ice Maker
Now you can transfer the base to the new ice maker. You can do this by simply pushing the wire harness in the base assembly. Line up the three screws with the holes and tighten the screws down. Make sure they are all snugly tight.
Step 9: Install the New Ice Maker
You are now ready to install the new ice maker into the refrigerator. Follow the steps below to complete the installation successfully.
- Connect the wire harness and make sure it locks into its place.
- Slide the ice maker into the tracks and line up the rails on both sides.
- Push the ice maker back until you hear the locking tabs snap into its place.
- Reinstall the cover for the screws. You’ll need to tuck that up from the backside. Align the screw holes on the cover and the base of the ice maker. Reinstall the quarter-inch hex screws.
- Reinstall the ice maker door by engaging one of the hinge pins first.
- Turn the ice maker back on.
- Open the water inlet to your refrigerator and plug in the machine.
Step 10: Testing
Wait for a few hours for your ice maker to fill and freeze. Check by releasing a fresh batch of ice. If everything is working fine, you have just saved yourself a few bucks and the hassle of calling over a professional.
Read More : How to Replace Water Filter in Samsung Side by Side Refrigerator?
Replacing an ice maker on your Whirlpool refrigerator is an easy thing to do. It is best to do such tasks yourself as such experiences allow you to get to know your machine better and deal with such minor repairs yourself in the future.